Updated: Nov 19, 2020
Every entrepreneur needs content to get visibility, whether online or offline. Content is “something that is to be expressed through some medium, as speech, writing or any of various arts”. (Dictionary.com). I was once not familiar with content writing when I was starting as a freelance writer. I didn’t realize that it’s a crucial part of giving out information to your target audience in any kind of business in this digital age.
Background vector created by rawpixel.com at www.freepik.com
What is Content Writing?
Content writing is planning, writing, and editing web content, typically for digital marketing. It can include writing blog posts and articles, scripts for videos and podcasts, and content for specific platforms, such as tweetstorms on Twitter or text posts on Reddit. (Backlinko)
It can also be:
- guest post, ad copy, website copy, newspaper copy, press release, or e-book
- Email newsletters, keynote speeches, social media posts, white papers, web page copy, landing pages, and YouTube video descriptions (Backlinko)
Importance of Content Writing
If you’re wondering what’s the use of this:
1. It’s informing your audience about your products/services or related to those.
Having a good value blog post about using a microwave oven for the first time, without mentioning your company’s products, will help your audience have a guided path on using it, for example.
Giving them how-to’s, tutorials, and educating your audience will get them hooked on your valued content. The catch is knowing your target audience and their preferences first.
2. You build your credibility on each content. With a series of blog posts, for example, on using the microwave oven for various original foods or occasions, you slowly build trust in your audience.
No one buys from a brand they don’t trust, right? Ask yourself, “What could I put on my content that will help my audience on their (insert product) purchase or tips before hiring a (insert service)?”
Building your credibility will aid them to make a buying decision in just a matter of time.
3. Selling your products and services online through written content will help you boost your income while you’re sleeping, eating, or taking a vacation.
You’re working indirectly 24/7 because the internet where you published your written content never takes a break. Not only that, you reached a global audience whether or not they’re your target.
4. It exercises your creativity. Making a high quality written content that ultimately sells makes you think out of the box. If you sell and sound like all your competitors, how will you stand out?
With the vast information on the internet, you can choose unique new ways and experiment with it on your business. Take, for example, making stories on Instagram for businesses is gaining popularity based on Facebook’s Virtual Summit Philippines’s Mastering the Art and Science of Stories.
To stretch and test your creativity, why not make a series of literal stories on your business’ IG stories? Here are some other exceptional examples.
Done conceptualizing? Now with the implementation. Sounds and animations are highly recommended to engage and capture the attention of IG users.